The Long-Bell Lumber Company - 50th Anniversary1925
JK-LB
Bronze

The obverse bears bust l. of Robert A. Long, founder of the Long-Bell Lumber Company. Around, THE LONG-BELL LUMBER COMPANY / FIFTIETH ANNIVERSARY; to left, ROBERT A. LONG / FOUNDER; to right, signed KILENYI.

The reverse bears image of path through forest, surrounded by laurel and oak leaves. Above, LONG-BELL; below in cartouche, 1875-1925.

The Long-Bell Lumber Company was started by Robert A. Long and Victor Bell. They had started out selling hay in Columbus, Ohio, but quickly discovered that the wood they needed to construct storage sheds and wagons was much more precious than their hay cargo, so they tore down the sheds and sold the lumber. In 1887 they officially incorporated the Long-Bell Lumber Company and grew it into a major business.

Their company was sold to International Paper in 1956.

Kilényi picked up the forest motif he had used on the reverse of this medal when he designed the reverse of the Fruit of the Loom medal in 1951.

The medal measures 83mm in diameter.