University of Puerto Rico - 50th Anniversary1953
UPR-50
Reddish bronze

The medal's obverse shows university's clocktower surrounded by palm trees. Above, UNIVERSIDAD DE PUERTO RICO

The reverse bears map of American continents centered on American isthmus and compass rose; ship and dolphin on oceans. Seal of University of Puerto Rico in lower left. Above, CINCUECENTENARIO; below, 1903 - 1953; signed, T LOMEDICO

In 1900, at Fajardo, the Escuela Normal Industrial (normal school) was established as the first higher education center in Puerto Rico. Its initial enrollment was 20 students and 5 professors. The following year it was moved to Río Piedras. On March 12, 1903, the legislature authorized founding of the University of Puerto Rico, and that day the "Escuela Normal" was proclaimed as its first department.

Today, the University of Puerto Rico (UPR) is the main public university system of Puerto Rico and organized as a government-owned corporation of Puerto Rico. It consists of 11 campuses and has approximately 58,000 students and 5,300 faculty members. UPR has the largest and most diverse academic offerings in Puerto Rico and the Caribbean, with 472 academic programs of which 32 lead to a doctorate.

The medal measures 63.5mm in diameter and was struck in bronze by the Medallic Art Company of New York.