TWA Stratoliner Club Member Medal1940
TWA-SC.2
Sterling silver

This medal's obverse bears image of four-engine stratoliner in flight above clouds. Around, TWA STRATOLINER CLUB - MEMBER

The medal's reverse bears same plane in flight from different perspective. Around, 4-ENGINE OVERWEATHER - STRATOLINER

The edge is marked STERLING BALFOUR

The Boeing 307 Stratoliner was the first commercial transport aircraft to enter service with a pressurized cabin. This feature allowed the aircraft to cruise at an altitude of 20,000 ft (6,000 m), well above many weather disturbances. While Howard Hughes had taken early delivery of a 307 in 1938 to attempt an around-the-world record flight the planes officially entered service in 1940 and were primarily used by the U.S. Air Force, Trans World Airlines (TWA), and Pan American Airways (PANAM). The last Stratoliner was retired in 1975.

The medal measures 32mm in diameter and was struck in bronze and sterling silver by the L.G. Balfour Company of Attleboro, Massachusetts.